Sunday, July 20, 2008

Where to go in Margate at the weekend


I've given it a mention, before, but with little to do in Margate there are a few parts that property speculators and developers haven't yet messed up.


The Beach is one, another is Margates Harbour arm, which has recently had life breathed back into, both of which I believe were missed off the itinerary, on Kent councils cabinet er day trip.


One thing which I believe is true of both of locations is that their existence owes little if anything to Kent council, in the case of the beach nature has been prime force and with the Harbour arm individual enterprise.


Each time I visit the harbour I impressed with the improvements that have been made their and would urge anyone who cares for this area to go and visit, as I did last Sunday, stopping for a pint and some reggae music on the end of the harbour arm. I'd also like to mention that studio space created as part of the improvements along there are being filled according to Phil Oldfield((IOTA) Art Monkeys and all that arty sort of stuff) with whom I had quick chat with yestereday and is seeing continued interest in the gallery space (well worth a visit).


Kevin Lynes has been kind enough to give this website the oxygen of publicity over in West Kent and mentions County Councillor Clive Harts, frequent promotion of Margate, in regular emails and also mentions that he will be shortly be visiting Margate with his family, well he could do worse than spend the day on the beach and maybe saunter over to the Harbour.


Since I frequently write about Kent, believe in biodiversity, I will shortly add a link to Kevin Lynes Blog in the sidebar. Bit surprised by that vocational stuff which is news to me?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for your kind words Tony. Just a heads up to anyone who is thinking of visiting the Harbour Arm - info about events can be found at www.margateharbourarm.co.uk. I'd particularly recommend Robert Poulter's New Model Theatre www.newmodeltheatre.co.uk which is on again on 2nd and 3rd August. I went to see it yesterday and I defy anyone not to enjoy it. Very topical for Margate too.

    Fiona (Margate Harbour Arm)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Fiona for the good work which is a real benefit to the town.

    I would have mentioned it myself except I was just along from there at the bar on the harbour drinking in the ambience and pint of fosters I think, not realising that we had missed the start of the performance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're quite right that the harbour arm is looking good and is a real asset to the town. A sign of things to come, hopefully, especially if the nearby Turner Centre defies all the cynicism and is a success.

    A little ahead of the Centre's arrival, we have Thanet Pride this coming weekend, which will bring a lot of people into the town and should be a great occasion, just as it was last year, not just for the LGBT community, but for everyone.

    Plenty of places are carrying details of the running order for the day, so check them out! Easiest is www.thanetpride.co.uk. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes!lokking forward to this weekend,gay pride on saturday jazz on sunday,lots happening on the harbour arm-well done to all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wondered Fiona if it would be possible to put up a sign that said"dogs must be kept on leads"on the harbour arm as i have a little spaniel whom i like to take for walks along the harbour arm,but we had a horrible encounter with a staffie(not on a lead)and it has scared the hell out of me and my little dog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. just been for a walk along harbour arm and there is a notice that dogs must be on leads-thank you me and my little dog feel safe to have a stroll!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes the signage went up on Friday morning. There is a copy of the site rules on www.margateharbourarm.co.uk events page (hyperlink in bottom right box). Whether the chavs will take any notice is another thing though. Dog poo bins are arriving soon. Sorry these things take time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thought the sign could have been a bit more visitor friendly ie "Welcome to the harbour arm we hpoe you enjoy your visit and hope you adhere to these rules"sort of thing,hope the rules are enforced so the chavs have to toe the line...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I forgot to say - we will also have a big sign saying Welcome etc, with a list of the gallery, shops etc, but it is rather special and still being made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ok-that will be good,fair comment.

    ReplyDelete