Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Cynic out of water on Margate's Harbour arm





As I mentioned in my previous post, I've been fairly busy, particularly this last weekend so I was unable to partake of the celebrations for the refurbished Harbour buildings.

It wasn't until yesterday, that I actually took a stroll in that direction, as you can imagine, I set out on my journey with a completely open mind, with no cynical thoughts whatsoever or intention to confirm any negative ideas that I had already formed.

Since I rarely visit the Harbour, I usually nip into Droit House, to see what's occurring on the Turner front although much is wasted on me, I generally find that there is someone available to explain exhibits to philistines such as myself.

Anyway after sheltering from the wind, I continued on to the refurbished fishermen's workshops and found myself wandering around the IOTA gallery. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the exhibits and impressed with the enthusiasm of Phil Oldfield, who is the driving force behind IOTA.

Obviously there are some finishing touches to be made to work on the Harbour arm, but once the units are occupied with purveyors of coffee, food, gifts as well as the artist's studios it will be the perfect accompaniment to the Turner Contemporary.

I would advise anyone with nothing better to, who has some time on their hands, to take a walk along the Harbour arm and visit the IOTA gallery, where you will see some visually stunning work which will possibly make you feel less cynical about the arts. I particularly liked Lost shoe 6 by Dan Bass which is worth the walk on its own, so my I suggest you get off your backside and take a gander.

I would like to thank Phil Oldfield, for taking the time and trouble to show me around, the Harbour arm and anyone else associated with this project including Fiona (comments in earlier post Question Re Margate Harbour).

10 comments:

  1. I'm so pleased you took the time to explore the Harbour Arm. Phil is a star and he has something really special out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I visited the old IOTA Gallery in Ramsgate on a number of occasions and was never disappointed. Am looking forward to seeing their work again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to drive down there to a company which refurnished our hydraulic jacks and bearing pullers.

    He was in a unit at the end of the harbour and a dab hand with the paint brush as all the refurbished kit came out painted a tidy shade of blue.

    Perhaps we could feature something like a jar of swarfega with an explanatory note as an exhibit now ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you met Philip, he is a good man and someone who cares about the place and what can be done to improve things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too wish Phil and IOTA every success. Ramsgate's loss is Margate's gain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David I am at a bit of a loss as to why Ramsgate should have to lose IOTA we desperately need to get the Royal Victoria Pavilion for this type of use, to regenerate Margate at the expense of Ramsgate seems silly, none of my customers from Margate like the idea either.

    But yes good news for Margate lets have a bit of this sort of thing in Ramsgate too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Once again the Margate mandarins have pulled out all the stops for their home turf, and stripped Ramsgate of one of its finest assets!

    Still, good luck Phil. Traitor!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Michael, ask Philip, it had nothing to do with Philip/IOTA themselves wanting to leave Ramsgate, all down to market forces I'm afraid. Good luck IOTA 2!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I visited yesterday and really liked it. When there are places to eat and drink it will be really nice. Well done.

    ReplyDelete