Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Lord save us from god knows what




How uplifting is the news, that the Lord Lieutenant of Kent Allan Willett, has appointed three new deputy Lieutenants, just what any of this lot will do in practicle terms remains a mystrey to me but hopefully those appointed, know what they've got themsleves into. A report is carried on the excellent Kent online site of the KM group, according to which the three chosen will support the monarchy and celebrate Kent.

I always thought the monarchy could support themselves from their vast wealth, isn't the queen also the head of the armed forces? As to celebrating Kent I'm sure that Brig John Meardon (Receiver General of Canterbury Cathedral), Lady Clarke (wife of Anthony Clarke Master of the Rolls) and Sir John Mummery(a Lord Justice of Appeal) are more than capable but they don't seem to be representative of Kent residents, in general.

Well I know my place in society, so I doubt I shall be getting any job offers from Lord Lieutenant Allan Willett, it seems Kent is not quite as egalitarian as some of us would like although I'm sure that those lucky appointees represent the backbone of society whilst myself, I'm probably more lower intestines.

Still it would be nice if society adjusted a little and maybe appointed a clerk, plumber or shop keeper to these presumably ceremonial posts.

2 comments:

  1. Tony, well once again I agree, it seems that only the titled or the rich get to 'represent' their community through this 'avenue'.
    However, get elected and you could be Mayor of Margate! I think the post of Mayor shows that 'Ordinary' people can do the job of public representative. During my year of Mayor of Ramsgate, I only had one complaint (to my face) and that was when I told someone they were acting like a spoilt child, mind you they were 65years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tony and Ken

    I am not so much bothered by ceremonial posts.

    What annoys me are matters like asking for public grant aid to industry to be held in abeyance pending inquiry into unreliability of their products (life saving equipment supplied to NHS and Nuclear Industry)

    And the grant aid is given then it takes ten years before Tony Blair calls for inquiry.

    Three months after calling for inquiry, and transferring matters to the relevant minister who delivered no inquiry, Tony Blair signed a seventh Queens Award to Industry for the former MD of the grant aided firm.

    Who happens to be a Depoty Lord Lieutenant.

    It is when the forelock tugging nature of our land acts as an overarching influence to our detriment that I object.

    I have just received a very warm letter from Archbishop Cormac Murphy O'Connor acknowledging my own letter raising an objection in anticipation of the Catholic Church seeking to beatify two persons who enjoyed the highest accolades our honours system could bestow.

    Honours have nothing to do with merit.

    ReplyDelete