Wednesday, October 04, 2006


Strange e-mail received

Today I received the Email detailed below, and I have a couple of comments to make, number-one is the source, which I assume is from the thanetcouncil.info website.

The irritation that I feel, is that this has arrived, in my e-mail account but the address shows as "planning.services@Thanet.gov.uk", clearly the author is a smart arse, and has the ability, to deliver to my inbox e-mails with a fake address, why the Email isn't addressed with my own name as provided on the side bar of this website I don't know, looks a tad weird if not sinister.

Presumably there is a straightforward explanation, and perhaps the author has no connection with the website I referred to thanetcouncil.info, which is apparently run by some character called Matt, who once asked my opinion of the site, and has neither had the courtesy to reply to that opinion, or thank me for the large slice of my material which pads out that site.

Now I have, little problem with anyone, using my material, so long as they don't make money from it (unlikely), and that it is attributed to me and my site.

Anyway have a read of the rather convoluted Email yourself.
----- Original Message -----
From:
story.followup@l;sdjflthanetcouncil.info
To: <
planning.servicesdsfdsf@thanet.gov.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 9:25 AM
Subject: please help clear up an issue

The aim of thanetcouncil.info is to be informed and to be able to give agood coverage of issues. We are community driven and allow all members toadd content.
Recently a story has been added quoting the Isle of Thanet Gazette fromthe end of September.In the newspaper article Cllr Ezekiel mentioned "cafe society".
No onehere has any real idea what he was talking about and our best guess so farhas been that he has embarrisingly misunderstood "Conservatives Against aFederal Europe" and applied it to real cafes.I am writting to yourself (and others) seeking a publicly suitableclarification of what the man is talking about.
The forum topic where the issue is raised can be found at this URL.http://thanetcouncil.info/node/42Best regardsStory Followup.
----thanetcouncil.info has a policy of anonymity and we are happy to keepsecret our sources on request. Additionally as such it is not suitable torequest further contact details from any user of an email address fromthis domain.We only address emails to publicly available addresses located at time ofwritting on blogs and official websites of a theme similar to the natureof our message. We have better things to do than store addresses onmailing lists and simply don't do this. Therefore if you don't want totalk with us you can safly ignore this message and probably never hearfrom us again.
PS I added some random letters into email part of address
PPS the emailers question is actually one that I was thinking of asking myself in some form

6 comments:

  1. Hello there,

    it is possible to send emails without your email address being on it, its a way of sending it to alot of people without everyone seeing your address.

    For example, next time you send an email put the person you want to send it to in the main bar at the top, then say if you want to send it to yourself or a friend for reference, put it in the BCC line, its called a blind copy so no-one can see the address. Looks like this is what has been done to you.

    Site is great by the way. read up every tues and thurs from my gallery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanetcouncil.info probably BCC'd a copy to you so you were aware what he was up to when he sent the email

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watcha MESIWS! Just thought I'd pop in and say hello to the proprietor of what is now the premier blog in the north of the Ile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually that's really more of a blatant plug to let everyone know I'm back from my hols.

    ReplyDelete
  5. onelosthousemate
    Thank you for your help, and putting me straight, on the BCC line thing, and the praise thing.

    Kevin, shouldn't you be studying or something, I am a little concerned, about references to the social side, drinking and the like anyway on skinofstars what are you doing in Oxford I thought you were heading to Leicester or somewhere a bit more downmarket than Oxford.

    Eastcliff Richard no need to big up, Bignews! May I remind you, I know you are cheap, but the big news petty cash tin is empty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, it was probably my fault. I should have suggested a base target email with a thanetcouncil.info address.

    By the way it turns out Cllr Ezekiel was talking from his bum somewhat which is why the confusion at than...info.

    ReplyDelete