Monday, August 28, 2006

BBC says goodbye to free speech
as comedy show goes down the toilet

I am an old and git, being almost 50 I can remember a more enlightened time, when the BBC had the balls to shock and offend. During my lifetime there have been times, when political pressure particularly from the Tories has resulted in BBC's independence being stamped on. Perhaps one of the most controversial programmes was 'Till death do us part' featuring the character Alf Garnett this was funny shocking and abusive, but offensive as it was, it helped expose and ridicule racist bigotry (it also taught me how to swear), today this programme would probably, never be made, although without it, I believe we would be in a less tolerant society.

Inoffensive as he is Rolf Harris has inadvertently become the centre of controversy in the latest heavy-handed censorship from the BBC, they have decided not to broadcast a radio comedy because it contains jokes the subject of which is religion. I happen to believe we are witnessing an era of extreme bigotry where religion is concerned, and personally feel that offensive as it may be to various faiths groups, a little humour however vulgar might just dissipate dogmatism in our society. Still the time has passed, when freedom to express yourself was paramount.

Perhaps the BBC could look on me, an atheist, as someone who is equally offended when so-called blasphemy or whatever is a taboo subject for humour or even discussion.Why not shock me and offend someone else. Incidently I am worried that I may be slowly morphing into the charactor mentioned above,the more I read my own blog the more of a bigot I consider myself.

Strangely I could not find a reference to this from the BBC so click here for the Guardian's version

4 comments:

  1. You think you're a bigot? Have you tried reading Thanet Life???

    ReplyDelete
  2. What bigotry on Thanetlife? Three blogs i like visiting are Tony's, Thanetlife and ECR and all in their way display an intolerant and sometimes obstinate adherence to a particular view. One commonly shared intolerant and obstinate viewpoint is that Thanetlife is biggoted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Point taken mate. I visit Thanet Life too, and mostly it's OK, I just don't like the rants about immigrants, being one myself. As for that poofy pomero ECR, what's that all about? Blimey, I think I've just displayed some bigotry myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanet Life bigoted? Where may I ask? Does challenging uncontrolled immigration count as bigoted or economic and social common sense.

    ReplyDelete