Thursday, June 29, 2006


Ramsgate Grammar school shock!

In this week's Adscene, Chatham House headmaster John Matthews has this shock admission(to me anyway), and I quote ''About eight years ago we started our first vocational course in the 6th form for children who were not especially academic. The leisure and recreational course is a dual award equal to two A-levels and pupils will take a third academic A-level. He then goes on to state ''children who would have failed at doing three A-levels have been doing well on this course.
I was actually on my way to bed when I got a call from work, and then , read Mr Matthews frankly astonishing comment.
As some of you will know I am an opponent, of the educational system in Kent, and made the following comment on the East Cliff matters blogsite when the author posted a similar article from the Extra suggesting how marvelous Chatham House was. Please note that this was originally written, in response to that ( click here to see in context)

I just wonder at what cost, does Chatham House achieve its results. Our grammar schools cream off roughly 20 per cent of the school population with its 11 plus Kent Test nonsense.

This system is somehow supposed to take those most able, I would just ask whether the 20 per cent comes, equally from all social classes, I don't think so. If it doesn't then we have what I would suggest is a de facto system of eugenics whereby middle-classes are nurtured at the expense of the majority.

As you don't seem to nail your colours to the mast, i e whether you agree with educational apartheid or not, ask yourself this why do parents who can afford it, send their children to private schools is it , a) because they like the ridiculous 1950s style uniforms, or b) because they're pretty damn sure that there darlings will be coached rigorously in how to pass the Kent Test.

If Mr Matthews gets the chance to read my blog, I hope he realises that I have not had the benefit of a grammar education, but if the likes he could give this to his English department as an example of bad gramar.

To summarise I always understood, that the reason we have grammar schools, was that KCC in its wisdom had an infallible system, of selection quaintly called the Kent Test which resulted in academically gifted children going to grammar schools. What are we to think!
Postscript In using the word shock this is the definition which I feel is applicable in my view "Something that jars the mind or emotions as if with a violent unexpected blow. Well it did jar after years of listening to backers of grammer schools, and I do get emotional when I know something to be wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment