Friday, June 09, 2006

KM Thanet Extra reducing distribution?

Is the Kent Messengers, Thanet Extra, now Thanets dearest free newspaper. For maybe 10 to 15 years the Thanet Extra has been delivered free to my home, and when that wasn't the case you could always go in to the office, and get a free copy. There appears to be a change of policy and now when you go into the office you have to pay 45p.

Now I pay a similar amount for a very thin Thanet Times on Tuesday, and the price therefore is not extortionate. But I think there is a principle involved here the Thanet Extra, is presumably promoted to its advertisers as a free issue newspaper, now I have no problem if they wish to change their policy and charge for every edition because clearly it is comparable with Trinity Mirrors newspaper the Thanet Times.

So if I were an advertiser, I might just think if, I have a choice of whether to advertise in the Adscene or the Extra, and I wish to flog some houses, I would go for the Adscene since they only charge a nominal 10p. Given that most revenue for these newspapers clearly comes from advertisers asking 45p for a paper which in the main is free seems to be a little penny pinching.

I understand from staff in their Northdown Road office, that they are under no obligation to supply free copies, as they deliver 57,000 (although I checked the figure in the paper which was lower at 55,873) which is fair enough, its their business, but if your an estate agent, wishing to sell me a new property, or entice me to sell, or a business wishing to sell new kitchens or windows you might well consider the Adscene.

I rang Kent Messenger groups distribution on 01622794620, and was informed that my road would no longer receive copies of the Extra as would be the case for others in the adjacent area. So if you live in Dane Valley area the chances are that you will no longer receive a copy of the Extra.

Tough choice, free or 45p.

1 comment:

  1. It has and is a bit hit and miss here in Birchington. Personally I wouldn't buy it. I read it and find it fairly interesting but when I do get it, it is free.
    I suppose it will not remain free for long then.
    But then I can read this site instead. Thanks for the hard work.

    ReplyDelete