Sunday, May 28, 2006

Politics does anyone care? Benny Hill, Britishness, Sven's Partner


Last Monday I passed comment on a story that had appeared in the Sunday Times the day before concerning Adam Rickitt, again you might ask who he (click here to see previous story), I thought it strange enough that such a heavyweight political thinker would appear in the Conservative A-list of candidates for the next election, but now I find it even more spooky that the much-respected Kent on Sunday newspaper, brings news that the former soap star is being considered as a replacement for Michael Howard in his safe seat of Folkestone and Hythe. Apart from the depth and breadth offered by Adam Ricketts political philosophy, I just wonder how he will adapt if chosen, to the realities of being an MP or even God willing, a leader of his party, reason I mention this was I remember seeing, Michael Howard in Folkestone on the last Saturday before last years general election and the thing that surprised me, potentially he was about to become the new Prime Minister and yet there was no crowd and no journalists asking questions, just him and two or three people accompanying him, as he wandered around the centre of Folkestone and I thought how indicative it was of the public interest in politics.

I had hoped last week also, that David Cameron, might just contact me if a position came up locally, but since I have learnt that his great comedic hero is Benny Hill, I think I would have to decline.
Interesting extract from a forthcoming book by Rageh Omaar, on being British, from the perspective of being a Muslim, clearly he is frustrated by ignorance of the non Muslim community, concerned at commentator's exercising their legitimate right to discuss Islam fearing for the consequences from many less rational elements in our society. I think it might be of use to this journalist, to know how someone who just considers himself British feels, obviously it I am not representative of anyone other than myself, although bought up as a Christian, I have no knowledge or interest in the Church, similarly I have no desire to know what goes on in a mosque or a synagogue, because frankly I do not care, and I am sure that in the not too distant future, Muslims will become fully integrated into the British establishment and will no longer feel it necessary to call themselves British - Muslims just British. Many British people have fear of Islam, but we now live in the climate where even if we wished to discuss the pros and cons of different religions, we no longer feel free to for fear that we might be accused of some hate crime (whatever that is). Clearly this journalist has a voice that we should listen to, unfortunately he now works for Al-Jazeera television (not available in these parts) since leaving the BBC.
The news of the world, made a big fuss about Sven's, girlfriend selling information to the newspapers about her partner, it seemed rather hypocritical to me, and anyway as football is more entertainment than sport does it matter. Personally I have already had enough of the World Cup be it metatarsal or girlfriends who cares.

2 comments:

  1. Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
    »

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
    »

    ReplyDelete