Friday, April 21, 2006


Theatre Royal may close this summer

How ironic is it, that the Theatre Royal in Margate is apparently in dire financial straits, when for all other art projects etc there appears to be pickings for all. Two or three weeks ago KCC announced a fresh attempt to build a Turner contemporary centre and indeed I believe that they are to choose new architects to run this project in the next few days. The budget for this new gallery is at a reasonable £12 million with I believe a further £3 million going towards an upgraded Winter Gardens.

I just wonder how much the Theatre Royal actually needs to remain open and functioning as it does now, I would imagine perhaps a couple of hundred thousand a year would probably allow this the theatre to thrive and may be put on more popular attractions. Given that KCC, lost nearly £8 million on the last Turner centre project this would be a drop in the Ocean obviously it would be a tough decision for the council to assist one of the popular art mediums, it is always easier naturally for organisations such as our county council to give money to the more obscure art's as represented by the Turner contemporary.

I think that KCC and the other organisations involved in the Turner centre probably burnt around a million a quarter pounds every year resulting in not a lot, just imagine the artists performers that we could have seemed at the Theatre Royal if the money had gone to them instead of architect's etc.

I feel that the needs of the Theatre Royal give some perspective to the money that is being spent on so-called regeneration projects. I would love to know for instance how much Thanet council have just spent on the Marks and Spencer building when they have yet to give any reason for its purchase.

5 comments:

  1. This is a lovely theatre and deserves better. I can't visit now due to health but remember it as a beautiful venue. I only hope it is preserved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why 'obviously ludicrous'?
    It's their plan and they appear to be sticking to it.
    Do you have a plan that involves more than moaning about what others are (or aren't) doing?
    In my experience, people that 'want' something but aren't prepared to work for it, invariably end up with unpayable credit card bills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In answer to the Lucy Mail, yes I do have a plan it involves making public some of the more outrageous wastes of public money and highlighting some of the woolly thinking in the public sector. If that plan is not good enough tough, I just wonder what your experience actually is, you sound like a school teacher which isn't meant as an insult but an observation, or maybe someone in the public sector. I find the slur regarding credit-card bills, rather insulting but as you seem to be someone with a strong work ethic where others are concerned I it did not reply to your comment earlier as I have in the last 24 hours driven 340 miles (to get to work & back) worked for 12 hours outside in the wind and rain last night. So I hope you forgive me for not replying to your rather tedious comment earlier. Please send me further comments maybe I could hear about your wonderful life and contributions to society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tony, I think you missed the point with your tirade against Lucy Mail. She was having a go at artyblartfast, not you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Friday that the theatre has received part of its next grant early and will be able to continue. For the time being.

    ReplyDelete