Tuesday, April 18, 2006


Can you answer the following question what is the above picture ?
A. Is it Anne Hathaway's cottage
B. 1950s social housing
C. The new Turner Contemporary Gallery
D. The Tudor House in Margate in King Street


I think the answer is D, although when I was speaking to someone in the council about 10 years ago they told me that this building had been constructed in the 1950s. The reason I mention this is I consider this to be one of the more neglected assets in Thanet. I believe the council own this property, and wonder why with all the talk of regeneration in Margate why this building is allowed to be closed and left unused. I can remember this building being open to the public, when I was younger. Surely even if it cannot be opened for public to appreciate as a museum it could be put to some use why couldn't it be opened as a tourist information office. The council apparently has the money to buy the old Marks and Spencer's building, and yet this asset has been dormant for probably 20 years at least. I realise that the Marks and Spencer's building is a different kettle of fish but if proper use of existing assets aren't made should we be acquiring new assets.

4 comments:

  1. What kind of pie are you eating in your photo, Tony?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for that question, actually it is not a pie, but a rather good sausage which I was eating in Wenceslas Square with mustard ketchup and most importantly onions and a cup of hot wine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that, I was intrigued. I had been hoping it was from somewhere round here, as it looked as if you were enjoying it, and I was going to ask you which shop you bought it from! Now I'll have to go all the way to Prague!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is worth it, one of the few towns where resturants are still willing to offer roast brussel sprouts as well as the common roast pig knee.

    ReplyDelete